Current 100% Smoke-Free Multi-Unit Housing in the Quad Cities:
In Scott County: https://smokefreehomes.iowa.gov/
In Rock Island County: Cobblestone Apartments on Parkway 1921 Cobblestone Lane Milan, IL 61264. Chris Thomas: (563) 299-2077. Toll Free: 888-757-4696
Fort Armstrong Senior Residence 1900 3rd Avenue Rock Island, IL 61201. (309) 786-0400
While smoke-free indoor air laws in both Iowa and Illinois protect the public from secondhand smoke in nearly all public areas, secondhand smoke exposure in multi-unit housing is not included. The health risks from secondhand smoke in multi-housing units such as apartment complexes, condominium complexes and townhomes are the same as health risks from secondhand smoke in other places. The only way to fully protect residents from the dangers of secondhand smoke is establish a smoke-free policy for multi-housing units.
Reasons for Smoke-Free Housing
- Secondhand smoke in rental units affects millions of people.
- 80% of people do not smoke. Smoke-free homes are the norm, not the exception.
- Secondhand smoke cannot be controlled.
- There are more and more complaints being received about secondhand smoke flowing between units in multi-unit buildings.
- It is a good deal for owners.
- A smoke-free policy is often self-enforcing. Because residents expect and tend to prefer a smoke-free environment, they will most likely follow the policy.
Interested in Creating a Smoke-Free Policy for your Multi-Unit or Rental Housing? To view a copy of the TFQC’s Smoke-Free Housing brochure, click here.
The TFQC is available to provide one-on-one assistance to owners/managers interested in making their housing smoke-free. Contact the TFQC coordinators at:
- Scott County – (563) 326-8618 or email@example.com
HUD Ruling: December 5, 2016, HUD published a final rule for each Public Housing Agency administering low-income, conventional public housing to initiate a smoke-free policy. The effective date of the Rule is February 3, 2017, and it provides an 18-month implementation period. For more information: https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/program_offices/healthy_homes/smokefree