Why implement tobacco-free/nicotine-free park policies?
- Parks are created to promote healthy activities.
- Secondhand smoke is harmful to everyone.
- Secondhand smoke is harmful in outdoor areas, too.
- A majority of Iowans are not tobacco users.
- Cigarette litter is dangers to toddlers, wildlife, and the environment.
- Tobacco-free/nicotine-free policies help change community norms and behaviors.
- Tobacco-free/nicotine-fee environments promote positive role modeling.
- Including nicotine in the policy eliminates the use of electronic nicotine delivery systems (e-cigarettes, vape pens, etc.) which eliminates confusion.
The Tobacco-Free QC can offer assistance in tobacco-free/nicotine-free policy development and implementation. For more information about tobacco-free parks policies, visit our Get Involved page.