The Tobacco-Free QC Coalition exists to change the culture of our community regarding tobacco and nicotine use and exposure through:
- Preventing the start of the use of tobacco and nicotine
- Promoting cessation of tobacco and nicotine usage
- Decreasing the availability of tobacco and nicotine products
- Influencing tobacco and nicotine related legislation
Why smoke-free is important:
- Secondhand smoke is a Class A carcinogen (cancer causing) – there is no safe level of exposure
- Secondhand smoke contains over 4000 chemicals – including cyanide, arsenic, formaldehyde, lead, carbon monoxide and ammonia
- Secondhand smoke causes burning eyes and nasal passages, headaches, nausea, and discomfort to non-smokers. It can also make allergy and asthma symptoms worse.
- Separate smoking areas do not eliminate exposure to secondhand smoke.
- Employees who are exposed to secondhand smoke may not have the option to change their jobs for the protection of their health.
Rock Island County Health Department
2112 25th Ave.
Rock Island, IL 61201
Scott County Health Department
600 W. 4th St., 4th Floor
Davenport, IA 52801